Sunday 29 April 2012

What are we paying for, anyway?


Everyone who knows me will be able to attest to the fact that I have the body of a God. The God of vanilla lattes, biscuits and a sedentary lifestyle. Armed with this vessel of greatness, I think I can be allowed to pass comment on perhaps the biggest event to hit Britain in 2012 – The Olympics. 

Comprised of 26 sports, The Olympics promises over two weeks of almost non-stop sporty goodness. Britain will be overtaken by thousands of eager tourists who have paid hundreds, if not thousands of pounds for the privilege of watching some live sport that they probably don’t even understand the rules of.
But why have the festivities already appear to have started? I saw a 2012 Olympic games shop in Stansted Airport in September last year. LAST YEAR! I’m sure you’ll all be as pleased as I was that it was entirely devoid of customers, yet stuffed to the brim with stuffed toys of those bizarre mascots of ours. I have no idea what those things are, but the chocolate version of them are delicious. 

However, I have a bigger gripe with the Olympics. I am absolutely sick of everyone trying to tell us how fantastic it is for the country. One of their biggest arguments for this is how children will be inspired to take part in sport. I was threatened with detention for a month if I didn’t actively take part in my twice-weekly PE lessons and yet I still managed to go and find a tree to hide behind twice a week.  Children aren’t inspired to play more sport by seeing their country being overtaken by Olympic fever in the same way that they’re not inspired to go and steal cars and pick up prostitutes after playing Grand Theft Auto. I have a bit of an idea though – while Britain is gripped in what is too frequently described as an ‘obesity epidemic’, how about we don’t make the official sponsors of the games McDonalds, Cadburys, and Coca Cola? I might not be athletically inclined, but I’m pretty sure the people competing didn’t get where they are today by shovelling that stuff down their throats. How about using the games as an opportunity to help improve nutritional standards, and not just further profits of three major trans-national companies? 

I also take issue with how we’re all supposed to be impressed with the regeneration of East London. Now, I originally hail from south London myself, and I can attribute to the fact that London is quite a long way away from Swansea. Yet despite this, and the fact that the majority of us will never get to get anywhere near these new facilities, we’re still paying for it. 

And this is my last major complaint – the cost. So far, estimates for the whole cost of the games are around £24 billion, including public transport upgrades. Do you realise quite how much that could buy you? That’s 12 billion cider and blacks in JC’s, or 60 million new iPads. The best part is that all the private sponsors have disappeared, leaving the government to cough up for the entirety of it. I think it’s incredibly unfair that we’re all paying through the nose for something that we only wanted so that the French didn’t get it, especially at a time of recession. 

Simply put, the Olympics is expensive, we’re surrounded by propaganda, and if you dared to have had a baby after having bought your tickets, don’t try and bring it with you, because you won’t be allowed. Yet there is one silver lining on this grey cloud of misery – whenever I see the official logo, all I can see is Lisa Simpson doing something naughty, and that can only improve my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment