Friday 27 July 2012

Look at me, I'm a proper columnist now!

For those of you who have the luck to be my friend on Facebook - and why wouldn't you want to be, my statuses are hilarious - you'll know that I became a proper writer today. Yes, I got published in the local paper with my own, weekly column. Largely, I'll be focusing on what students go through whilst living in Swansea. We get quite a bad rap, and I thought it was about time that I helped to redress the balance.

So for those of you unable to obtain today's copy of The South Wales Evening Post but who want to read it, I've written it up here, too. Don't say I don't ever treat you.

Look at it my way...

SWANSEA, we need to talk. I know that us students and the residents have had problems - we need to clean up after ourselves more, sometimes we get a bit noisy, occasionally we bring home the odd traffic cone in a cat-like act of affection - but honestly, I think we're good together.

Think of all the good times we've had together, don't you think they outweigh the bad?

We bring so much to the local economy and support jobs, we perform volunteer work within our communities, and through the university we provide sporting facilities, produce some of the best graduates in the country, and some of us are representing you at ward level on the local council. We're here for the long haul.

Please, let me explain. we love you, from the concrete jungle of the city to the outstanding natural beauty of the Gower, from the debauchery of Wind Street to the peace of the library. We love everything about you, but the way that you speak to us sometimes... It's like you forget that we're part of this city, too.
We aren't here to be difficult presences in your lives, we just want to be loved.

So please, let's try to work this out. The Union are working hard to help us be better residents. All we ask is a little more respect - take the time to meet us and talk to us when we move in. In turn, we'll be more conscious of you and be better neighbours.

If we do something wrong, take the time to explain and help us understand; we'll appreciate it much more.
Slip ups and accidents will always happen, but we can try our best to help reduce them.

I believe in this relationship, Swansea. I think we can make it work.

1 comment: